CREATING A STANDARD LEAGUE
On the Create League page you will be asked to enter your League Name, League Type (public or private), Owner Restriction and enter your draft preferences which include:
- Draft Type - Auction Draft, Live Online "Snake" Draft or Autopick Draft.
- Draft Date - Select from the available dates in the pulldown menu or the calendar function.
- Draft Time - Select from the available time slots (hour / minute). Note if a particular time slot you're looking for is not available that means all the slots are already taken. Often leagues change their draft time or are deleted which opens up available slots.
Make sure all your settings are entered correctly because after they are submitted they can only be changed with a league vote (via the League Referenda).
To review limits on how many leagues you can create, see League Types.
PUBLIC / PRIVATE LEAGUES
As league creator you have the option to make your league public or private.
- Public - Public league creators and team owners can send their league URLs out in email (or post them on a message board) to have non-members view them. In public leagues some pages (such as the list of team owners and the league message boards) are not viewable, but the main League Office, Standings, and Team pages are viewable.
- Private - If you set your league as "Private" a password box will appear and you must enter a password of at least four (4) characters. Only the league creator can give out the league password and/or send invites to join their private league.
Note: Both Public and Private leagues appear in the League Directory.
Owners also have the ability to create Champion and/or Insider leagues. These leagues use the standard settings the only difference is which members have access to join them.
- Champion LeaguesC. Can only be created (and joined) by winners of one or more ESPN Standard league from the previous season (free or prize-eligible).
- Insider LeaguesI. Can only be created (and joined) by members who are currently subscribed to ESPN Insider.
NOTE: There will be no leaderboards for these two league types.
INVITE OPTIONS TO JOIN A PRIVATE LEAGUE
League creators can access the invite page by clicking on the "Members" link from the League Office. One this page you have two (2) options to send invitations to others to join your league.
- League Password - You can copy and paste the league info (LeagueID and password) and post it on a message board, blog, chat or send via your own email software. People who view this can join your league on a first-come, first-served basis until the league is full.
- Email Invite - By sending an email invite you are sending a unique link to each individual email address. The only way for the recipient to join the league is via this unique link. Note they will not be required to enter the password and when the league is join the link expires. Email invites can be sent out by either logging into one of your web-based address books (currently Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo! and AOL mail are supported) or by manually entering an email address into the "New Invitations" textbox.
MAKE YOUR LEAGUE PUBLIC
If you cannot fill your standard private league you have the option to set the league as public. Doing this will change access to it from private to public and can be joined via the League Directory.
EMAIL INVITE TROUBLESHOOTING
Below are examples of problems you might have in joining your private league and how you can go about fixing them. If one of the examples does not help rectify your problem, please contact Customer Care at 1-888-549-ESPN.
- NO INVITATION RECEIVED
If the league creator says they sent you an invitation but you do not see it in your email's inbox it could be due to a couple of reasons:
- Your email address entered by the league creator is simply incorrect. In this case we ask you to communicate with them to ensure they are entering your correct email address.
- INVITING FRIENDS TO YOUR LEAGUE
To invite a player to your league, the LM must click on members from the league home page and assign a team by inputting the name and e-mail address in the appropriate slots. The invite will go out when you hit the submit button.
League managers can access the Invite Members page by clicking on the Members link from the League Office. Enter the e-mail address of each person you want to join your league in the "send invitations" text box and click the "send invites" submit button.